Did you know there is power in submission? It is not a very popular topic, however understanding the concept of headship, honor, love and respect can transform any marriage for the better. The more I learn how God designed the covenant of marriage to work gracefully between a man and a woman, the more I am intrigued by its untapped resources.
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself;
and the wife see that she reverence her husband. – Ephesians 5:33
According to the book Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs, this scripture is a focal point for those who desire peace, intimacy and exhilaration in their marriage. The book also provides much insight on the importance of spiritual maturity, behavior, and tone to the overall success of a healthy relationship. A fruitful and glorious marriage requires both spouses to have a heart to serve each other…unconditionally. Those two words: “serve” and “unconditional” are strong and powerful concepts in a marital relationship. Thankfully, Christ is our example and the strength which enables us to relate to our spouse in this very special way.
Here are just a few nuggets from the book…
- Unconditional respect is just as important as unconditional love
- Headship provides protection – not domination
- Wives can practice speaking to their husbands in the same adoration, tone and encouragement and with the same soft facial expression that they would want their daughter-in-laws to speak to their sons
- Proverbs 10:19 – With lots of words comes wrongdoing, but the wise restrain their lips. (Common English Bible Translation)
- We can grow to honor our spouses in a manner that energizes the relationship
I hope you are able to read this book and find your inspiration! Begin a new journey with God! Trust Him to soften your heart and expand your capacity to love your spouse without fear. Experience the power of love and respect!